11/22/2008

Summary of Ultimate MMA & Self-Defense Academy

Contacts for Information/Registration
For MMA & Self-Defense Questions
Nuri Skakir's Phone: 978-726-0578
E-mail: nts5@aol.com
Training, Nutrition and Savage Society Questions
Samy Ross Daghir's Phone: 603-759-6335

I asked Nuri to describe the training facility and what he is doing with instruction and here is how he put things together for you. I think this will help a lot of questions that I am getting through the Crossfit Boards (linked above) and e-mails.

To The Savage Society from Nuri Skakir:
What we teach at Ultimate MMA & Self Defense (UMMA) is Mixed Martial Arts, Small Circle Ju jitsu (Self Defense art), and Ultimate conditioning. The head instructor Nuri Shakir has been training in Martial Arts for over 16 years. Mr. Shakir has earned a black belt in Small Circle Ju Jitsu and holds a 3rd degree brown belt in Judo, a brown sash in Tien San Pai Kung Fu and has won six championship belts in MMA, in addition to numerous trophies and medals in grappling and sparring events.
Mixed Martial Arts is a sport form of Martial Arts that combines mostly Boxing, Muay Thai kickboxing, Judo, Wrestling, and Brazilian Ju Jitsu. In a controlled and friendly environment students are taught a broad range from the very basics to an advanced level. At UMMA, MMA is taught as a whole art - combining all of the arts, not just each one individually.
Small Circle Ju jitsu (SCJJ) is a self-defense art that is geared toward people of all ages and teaches individuals how to effectively defend themselves against muggers, bullies and an unexpected assailant. The first main goal in SCJJ is to develop a sense where you are able to recognize a potential threat and get away safely. Once attacked, you will learn how to close, shut down; strike and Joint lock your attacker in a smart and effective way. Along with learning different ways you might avoid a confrontation, if unavoidable, students are trained on how to end a confrontation fast. The training provided at UMMA is scenario based and hands-on.
The third part of our training at UMMA is Ultimate conditioning. This training is also geared toward people of all ages as a means to get in shape and stay in shape as a sport. We use, but are not limited to, a functional fitness module of fitness. These modules are principal strength and conditioning programs for many police academies and tactical operations teams, military special operations units, champion martial artists, and hundreds of other elite and professional athletes worldwide. Based on fitness level, this type of conditioning/training can be tailored for each individual. " -Nuri Shakir

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Samy and Nuri;
Do you guys have a rough schedule for the MMa classes ? My children , ages 17 and 15 may be interested and I'd like to bring them down to check it out.Thanks.
Bill

SRD said...

Is this the same Bill Ennis that rose to infamy with the rest of the "Fight Gone Bad at Greeley Park Crew"? I am on and off the phone with Nuri all day today ironing out the details so that I can post a calendar of classes tonight. I am sorry it is taking so long, it's the phone tag that is mucking the process. If you would like to speak with me in person please dont hesitate to give me a call.

Anonymous said...

Hi Samy;
Yes that was me- not a good day for me in Greeley park back then -Pukie was very close !
Not a rush with the schedule . My kids are busy with High school etc. so we have alot going on . My daughter has always wanted to do martial arts but we never could settle on a good place . But I know we got one now !
I'll keep checking back to the website . Let me know if I can help at all.
Bill

Anonymous said...

As far as class times, early morning would be great, say 5:30 to 7 or 6:00 to 7:30am.

SRD said...

I am an early morning kind of guy, so that would be a great time to come in. Right now the morning is the one time completely open as everyone seems to like 12-9pm but we would be more than happy to have you in. Please feel free to email me at sdaghir@gmail.com or call me at 603-759-6335 to give me some more details and background on your fitness and training goals.